There are many things that can start to compromise the strength and structural integrity of homes, office buildings and other constructions and one of the most underrated is probable mold. This is an organism that can be found both indoors and outdoors but it will usually be outside because the conditions for it to grow bigger are optimal on the outside of the affected places. In this article we are going to give you some of the best cleanup guidelines for mold and how to prevent it from growing back.
In order to get rid of mold efficiently you need to eradicate any presence of water and moisture that you might be having in the affected area. Depending on the kind of material affected by the mold, you will have an easier or harder time dealing with the issue, but at the end the results will not be permanent if this issue is not taken care of. Dry areas never get mold and for this reason you see mold in many bathrooms, mainly because of how hard it is to keep them dry.
You should take into consideration that some materials might need to be replaced if they get too much mold. This is especially true in the case of some carpets and ceiling tiles. This sort of porous material can get mold in areas that are extremely difficult to clean up, but most other materials can be saved and the mold can be removed successfully.
Never attempt to “clean up” mold by painting over it. This is always going to result in a problem that will come back because the mold that is painted over will act as a peeling agent in the walls or ceilings you are trying to fix. If you want to pain, first you need to get rid of the mold if you want long term results to come from it.
For bathrooms it can be a good idea to find a way to ventilate the area as much as possible and keep it dry without water being left from showering. It’s important to have proper water drainage working in this area of your home if you want it to remain mold free. There are very few places in your home that can be affected as much as the shower area.
It’s important to keep from breathing in all the mold spores that can be harmful for your health.
We suggest that you always wear a protective mask so that you can do heavy work on the mold and avoid any complications that can come from the exposure to mold. Wearing gloves is also recommended if you are going to be handling any chemicals or disinfectants to get rid of the mold. Goggles can also prevent allergic reactions in this kind of procedures.
If you feel like this is a task that you can’t handle, you can always hire a professional to take care of this problem. It might be less expensive to do this because they perform the correct kind of treatment in the affected areas and ensure that the mold stays away by giving you very specific details on how to prevent a recurrence.
In any case, you should always get rid of mold as soon as you spot it. The longer you let it grow, the harder it will be to eliminate it and in some cases it will be virtually impossible to restore the original look, color and smell of the affected areas. For those reasons you need to be vigilant in the areas that are most likely to develop this problem.